ANDORIA — Under the guard of a squadron of Starfleet officers, the first day of the trial of Breloc Tejar was conducted today.
Tejar, a Cardassian overseer of Bajor during the occupation, was found in Federation space last year and arrested. An investigation is ongoing, but has yet to uncover the purpose of his trespass, or his whereabouts before his capture.
Tejar’s crimes on Bajor, on the other hand, are well documented. During his time as overseer, he was directly or indirectly responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Bajoran citizens. As such, he is currently facing charges of murder in both the first and second degree, battery, terrorism, and other grievous violations of the Federation Conventions
Due to serious concerns regarding his safety, the Federation Council ordered that the trial not be held on Bajor, instead opting for the more neutral world of Andoria. Since the move, Tejar has been spending his time in a maximum security prison.
The first day of Tejar v. the United Federation of Planets began with opening statements, including eyewitness accounts given by former Bajoran prisoners, detailing the horrific conditions perpetuated within the camps and labor farms.
“We died by the hundreds and lived wishing we could join those that had gone to the Prophets,” stated Ephar Nizal, a survivor of the Occupation and one of the Bajorans kept in Dakhur Province Labor Camp. “Your crimes are inexcusable. You should have stayed in hiding.”
Tejar’s attorney, Myzrin Tostod, concluded her statement with an appeal to decency.
“The crimes of my client are not in dispute- and are in the past. Let us instead work together to move beyond the past.”
The next day of the trial is scheduled for this upcoming Thursday, and will be followed closely.
- Disgraced Minister of Health Yara Fennet Escapes Custody Before Trial - 239704.01
- Starfleet Mission Updates: Stardate 239703 - 239703.31
- Advanced Federation Presidential Transport Vessel Launches - 239703.25
- President Narala complacent while Argelius system burns - 239701.29
- Orion Syndicate suspected in sabotage aboard Warp XV prototype USS Juneau - 239701.24
- Launch of the USS Juneau - 239612.04
- Starfleet Mission Updates: Stardate 239605 - 239606.24
- Bajoran workers down tools in protest over Tejar case - 239511.27
- Reconstruction within Cardassian Union surges ahead of expected timetable - 239510.08
- Trill Symbiosis Commission to update host selection process - 239411.17