The year was 2286. Earth had just survived the Whale Probe crisis thanks to a certain fabled crew. But that year also marked the opening of the Venture Museum, which honored the legacy of another Constitution class starship. Now in its 107th year of operation, the museum has continued to be a hot attraction for all ages.
Story of the Venture
Launched in 2246, the USS Venture had a distinguished career alongside her fellow Constitution class sisters. She completed several notable deep space exploration missions, first under the command of Captain Akintola and then later Captains Chavez, Mattsson, Zhang and Commodore De Luca.
She was severely damaged towards the end of her final 5-year mission, and she was mothballed in 2272 after Starfleet decided it was easier to construct a brand new Constitution class refit rather than repair and refit Venture herself. She was later decommissioned in 2281.
She was slated for the scrapyard but a group of Venture veterans lobbied for her donation to the Starfleet Historical Museum, and she was transferred to the museum’s lunar orbital complex in 2286, where she has remained to this day.
An Orbiting Museum
Most of Venture’s systems were stripped, although control surfaces and some equipment were left for cosmetic purposes. The shuttlebay now holds two simulator rides designed to look like the Class F shuttlecraft of the 2260s. A cafe is available in the ship’s mess hall, and souvenirs are available on Deck 8.
During a major renovation in 2378, the ship was outfitted with holographic projectors on several decks and in certain key locations such as the bridge, sickbay, and engineering to allow museum visitors to see the ship “come back to life” through holographic recreations of crew members performing their duties.
Plan Your Visit
The Venture Museum is located in orbit of Luna in the Sol System.
Daily group tours are available from 0900 to 1700 hours. The museum is open year-round except on major Federation holidays.
- A Brutal Murder Sparks a Revolution - 239404.29
- Preparations underway for centennial anniversary celebration of Khitomer Accords - 239308.15
- Century-old Venture Museum still offers family fun - 239306.18
- Starfleet Academy applications drop as civilian opportunities increase - 239303.24
- FNS names Li Xinmin as new editor-in-chief - 239301.18
- President Bacco finishes Romulan visit with address to new Imperial Senate - 239301.04
- A look back at 2392 - 239212.31
- President Bacco steps foot on Romulan soil - 239212.28
- President Bacco prepares for state visit to Romulan Star Empire - 239212.21
- Commercial quantum slipstream travel resumes - 239212.14