There is a legend on Emperion IV, of the “Maiden of the Stars”, an unnamed soldier who vanquished their assailants from beyond the stars, and brought to them the power of spaceflight. We know this civilisation today as the Electorate of Emperion, a multi-stellar polity that borders the Federation to the galactic northwest.
With tourism accounting for much of the Emperion economy, a new business has unveiled a unique star cruise. In introducing civilian slipstream travel, it has announced a new package centred on her footsteps, the elevation of the nameless soldier to a deified patron. Of course, I went on the cruise.
Second Stop: Emperion XVI, low orbit
The Emperion system, a binary star system, is one of the few having more than 15 planets. This planet, a frigid frozen dwarf on the fringes of the dimmer star, was where they first sought refuge while they attempted to comprehend the spacecraft and hide from the two ships in orbit. Some rusting relics of their attempts to comprehend the spacecraft may be seen here, as well as a rifle and sword memorial on the northern continent, where the survivors pledged they would find a means to preserve their homeworld.
The voyage here was made possible by sublight engines, and one among the sights you get to view is Emperion IX, a gas giant with an impressive ring system. It also has its own livable moon, which was one of the Emperion Electorate’s initial colonies. The ship scheduled it just so that you could see the twin dawn through the rings, lighting it up in shimmering red and violet fire before the moon’s atmosphere appeared in a spectacular halo of light – a sight I will never forget.
Look out for our next instalment as we journey through Emperion IV.
- Travelogue: The Maiden of the Stars – Dantilas VI - 239907.29
- Travelogue: The Maiden of the Stars – Kavis III - 239906.27
- Travelogue: The Maiden of the Stars – Emperion XVI - 239903.21
- Travelogue: The Maiden of the Stars – Al’kharian Highlands - 239812.31
- Crisis in the 8576 Phoenicis System - 239808.06
- Space Station Overrun With Yellow Rats, Leading To Failing Life Support - 239801.15
- Anger against Starfleet from colonists on Meridian grows after terrorist bio-attack - 239607.19
- Cygnetian Assembly ratifies new constitution, reaffirms Federation membership - 239512.21
- Slipstream freighters provide needed supplies to distant colonies but others left out - 239311.17
- Cygnet considers separation from Federation - 239305.12